Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Fear Factor in EuroQuest

At left, Fiona Stewart and her daughter.

Segment 1 - London Underground Fear
Fiona Stewart, a London resident who travels to work each day on the London underground via Kings Cross, describes a scary situation that happened two years prior to the London

This is an excerpt from Michele Ernsting's excellent documentary "Testing the Alarms". Click here to go to the program's web page and listen to the entire program.

Segment 2 - The Fear Factor
Today’s media saturates the airwaves with round the clock news reporting. But when does coverage become too much? And what effect does that have on society? Richard Walker takes up the story in London.

Segment 3 - NI Gangs
N.Irish paramilitary groups are turning into mafia type organizations. Laura Haydon interviews teenage NI protestants about the attractions of joining these groups now that peace has come.

Segment 4 - Crime and (Lack of) Punishment in Bulgaria
Romania and Bulgaria are set to join the European Union in 2007. And while most things look good on paper, the reality is somewhat different.
Margreet Strijbos has more.
Here's a longer article on the subject by Radio Netherlands' Richard Walker. Click here...

Here's the high quality download of this week's show.

Want podcasts? The XML is on the right...

4 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger ADM said...

Technical issue:

I'm going to ask a Luddite question -- I listen to every show...and I've got the XML code I've snagged off the RNL website here. But I don't think it's accurate.

I've loaded same into my mp3 aggregator, and strangely I've got to come to the blog to get my show fix every week.

Now, I sho'nuff ain't complaining. Just wanted to know whether it was it or me.

Important to know these things, hm?

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Jonathan Groubert said...

Good point. I've gone and asked. If you are using ipodder or pubcatcher, there's a problem. It's being worked on, but there is an incompatibility. Our apologies. We will fix it in the coming months as we're going to update our server.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger ADM said...

Got that JG -- listened to the shows anyways 'the old-fashioned' way -- grabbed and snagged off the site. I use Nimiq (www.nimiq.com), if anyone's counting.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger ADM said...

I'm floored that more people didn't comment on this show (sorry, I was one show behind and listened on the flight over from Canada). It disturbs me, brother.

A more fitting subject I don't know if you could find for today's day and age. I suppose concentrating too intently upon it will merely ramp up our paranoia factor, and that's never a good thing (people are expected to deliver too much as it is in their jobs...).

I readily admit, J, there are plenty of things I'd like to write about about here. Perhaps I'm tipping my hand at my own brand of paranoia being rather reticent to share these feelings on the blog.

What of:

** cellphones/mobiles always being on, and people's movements being triangulated and tracked?

I live in Prague (a smaller city) and that can never be a good thing. In smaller cities, being tracked is easier 'done than said.' Am I being paranoid? You tell me...

** people's general lack of knowledge in the most basic of technical/electronic manipulations.

I don't puport to be an expert in any one particular area (I wish I was a wiz at PHP, btw), but I'll certainly say most aren't nearly as aware of the sorts of details they're publishing online as they need to be. All do so unwittingly at times.

** increased racism.

Being on the lookout for people of a certain 'profile' or gender (and I won't engage in the lowness of enumerating which sorts, btw), produces a habitual psychological action in most people to be vigilantly on the lookout for differences rather than similarities, more generally. Can't be too sure how the comments of some of the respondents in those interviews wash, for example:

"We're at war, and in wartime, people lose some of their rights, which will be given back later..." (a British-sounding man said that) -- that gives me the shivers.

How can anything be so cut and dried?

I know this is an 'old' show, but I like to add my $0.02 to each and every one.

--

Jon, thanks again...you give me something great to walk away with from each EQ. Gets my mind thinking in ways I least suspect, oftentimes until much later. Thank you.

--

Btw, re: NIMIQ, it was:
www.nimiq.nl

and not the other link I'd posted. Apologies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home